Thursday, January 29, 2009

Updates

It's been a while since I've updated...

We went back to Matt's onocologist for an appointment, he is now basically telling us the standard chemo is not having the effect that they want, so they are now want him to go to the University of Michigan, a top notch cancer hospital to see if they can offer him more. We did see another doctor this past Monday @ the Karmanos Cancer Center who will bend over backwards to assist. The doctor there told us his scans should have been repeated after every couple of rounds of chemo which was not being done.

We took him last night for a CT scan of his lungs (what the Karmanos doctor ordered) and he will follow back up with us. In the meantime, I have made contact with the U of M and they already had part of his records since I had sent them there exploring clinical trials. It makes my husband and I somewhat angry that his own doctor did absolutely NOTHING to assist him with getting him into a clinical trial or trying to help us. I had faxed him all sorts of info and followed up with phone calls and never got a call back. That was HIS responsibility to do, according to Matt's orthopedic onocologist who did his surgery.

U of M will need the slides as well as the MRI scans which I gave to Karmanos. When I talk to the doctor, I will have him forward to the U of M, as those were mine to begin with and I was just giving them to Karmanos to review.

I have also contacted a Case Manager to put Matthew in Case Management at our insurance company. U of M does not accept my insurance, but if the doctor writes a letter (which unbelievably his onocologist will) stating he can do nothing more, than their is a very good chance they will let him go to U of M. The people at Karmanos have been wonderful and will also do what they can to help us get into U of M if we need to. I called his onocologist to have the letter sent and when his last office notes are dictated they will send out and call me back. That will be sent to the insurance person we are working with.

Issues:

I am tired, very tired and stressed out. I work full time as I have to carry the insurance for our family. The people at work have been extremely accomodating to me, which I truly appreciate. But I wish I had someone to help me with everything. My husband doesn't understand this and everything falls on me to handle.

I am angry when people make comments to me about how awful this is, the severity of Matt's disease and what am I going to do, etc. etc. Please just give me your support and pray for my son.

Why aren't the doctors doing more to help him?????

Everyone please pray for my son Matthew.....or give someone a hug, tell them you love them, and think of my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment