Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Setback

My son let me know the end of December, 2008 his leg was bothering him and he couldn't move it to walk.  My fear deepened when I saw him take his arm to lift his leg up.  That was the same thing he was doing when he was using one arm to lift up his other before his arm was amputated. I was hoping it was just his gait being off due to the amputation.

We got him into the doctor the next day; she took X-rays, didn't see anything, but sent him for an MRI.  We met with the Orthopedic Onocologist Thursday of this week; and we got some bad news; there was now a tumor in his pelvic/hip area and it was a "decent size" according to the doctor.  I pretty much lost it in her office.  To top it all off, we changed insurance at my company and there was an insurance SNAFU where he and my daughter are not showing up as covered.  So, here they are telling me he is not showing up on my insurance, and now I find out there is another tumor.  I cried.  By the grace of God, my company allowed all kids 19 and over to be covered on a special rider if they are IRS dependent and live at home still and are single.   Otherwise, financially, I don't know what we would have done.  After several frantic phone calls between myself, my employer, the insurance company and the hospital, it finally got straighted out the next day.

Thank you God, you are great and powerful.

His chemo was held up for this weekend until this was straightened out.  He was admitted today, but we waited for 3 hours due to a room mix up.....the hospital staff gave us free coupons for lunch due to the inconvienience and he wanted to go in a wheelchair to be pushed around to go to the cafeteria...which scares me...for him to have such difficulty walking and to be in so much pain. 

That's what happened before with his arm.....I can't imagine life without my son.  I'm also worried he may eventually have his leg amputated which would be so hard for him.  

I have asked the priest why this has happened....it is always a test of faith, but God's ways are not man's ways.  It happens for reasons not known to us...primarily for someone's salvation. This is certainly a journey for us.....as a parent, I wouldn't wish this on any other parent, but I can't even imagine what my son is going through.   He is so brave, so courageous, God has truly blessed him with the strength to continue the journey.  Although yesterday, he said he didn't know why he was going back for more chemo as it wasn't working anyways.  I encouraged him to keep on fighting.....the doctors are now checking into some clinical trails for him to help him.  I pray that God continues to let him go on...please dear Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment